Image Credit: Spotify
Spotify launch their miniplayer on Facebook, allowing you to stream whole length tracks right within the social media app as you continue to scroll.
Last week, Facebook announced plans to ingrate more “social audio experiences” into the app, including a direct competitor to Clubhouse. Yesterday Spotify announced plans to further these experiences with a new miniplayer that allows Facebook users to stream full-length songs without having to navigate away from the app.
This is ideal for those that share their music with their fans on Facebook. With one less step for listeners, it should help encourage streams. Where previously tapping the embedded player would play a 30 second preview or require navigating away from Facebook to play the full song, now the song will play in full, even as you scroll down the app. The miniplayer will hover at the bottom of the app for quick access to controls.
You’ll need to have the Spotify app, an account and consent to connect the two apps before full-length tracks are available. Both Spotify Premium and Free users will find a similar experience to the usual Spotify app, with Premium users able to stream full-length, ad-free songs, while Free users will be stuck with shuffle mode and hear ads between tracks.
How to launch the miniplayer:
- Tap the “Play” button on the song you, your friend, family member, or favorite creator shared from Spotify to their Facebook News Feed.
- The first time you’re using the miniplayer, you’ll see a consent dialog open—click on “Connect” to continue.
- If you’re logged in to Spotify, the apps will automatically switch and playback will start from within the Spotify app. (If you’re not logged in, you will be prompted to do so.)
- Spotify keeps playing even if you keep scrolling down your News Feed, but you’ll have control over playback options so you can pause or dismiss the miniplayer.
How to share music to Facebook
- When you’ve got a song in Now Playing view, tap the three dots in the upper right corner.
- Scroll down and tap Share.
- Then tap News Feed. From here you can add a few words if you want.
The miniplayer is rolling out now in the following markets: Argentina, Australia, Bolivia, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Indonesia, Israel, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, South Africa, Thailand, Uruguay, and the U.S. Spotify say they’ll introduce the new feature in more markets in the coming months.