After two months of testing, the owner of TikTok, ByteDance officially launch their new music streaming app ‘Resso’ in India
TikTok, with 1.5 billion users is currently the largest social media platform in the world. Because of this, it’s parent company ByteDance is looking to capitalize on it’s success as much as possible, launching Resso.
The app on iOS and Android focuses heavily on the implementation of social media, with friends, sharing, comments, synced lyrics (perfect for TikTok) and image creation (ideal for Instagram):
- Your Songs, Your Creativity
- Interact with the songs a whole new way with gifs, images, and videos; Upload videos, gifs or pictures to share your feelings on your favorite tracks
- Your Mood, Your Words
- Check out the synchronized lyrics of your favorite tracks. Express your mood by selecting your favorite lyric quote and sharing it on your social media accounts.
- Your Playlists, Your Community
- Create playlists of your favorite songs and let the community discover your music
- Your Music, Your Thoughts
- Listen to your favorite music and get to leave comments to share your feelings about the song with fellow members of the Resso community
Resso is offering both free and premium options:
- Free – Ads, 128kbps
- Premium – Ad-free, 256kbps, downloads, skip tracks
Premium is priced at INR 99/month ($1.35/month) on Android and INR 119/month ($1.62/month) on iOS. This is inline with most other streaming services in the country, with Spotify at INR 119/month.
The size of the catalogue is currently unclear. Resso have secured licensing deals with Sony Music Entertainment, Warner Music Group, Merlin and Beggars Group, as well as publishing deals with T-Series, Saregama, Zee Music, YRF Music, Times Music, Tips, Venus and Shemaroo, Speed Records, Anand Audio, Lahiri Music, Divo and Muzik 247. No word on Universal as the only major big player to not sign a deal with Resso. Tencent (a major competitor of ByteDance in China) own a 10% stake in UMG.
Launching in India makes sense for ByteDance, as it’s the large country for TikTok users. It seems the app is aiming for the same demographic, with 473 million people in India identifying as Gen-Z. While still not massively profitable, music streaming is huge in India and still growing. 200 million people are streaming music in India.
India has the largest population of Gen-Z as compared to any other country globally, With the core of Resso’s target audience being Gen-Z, it is only logical for Resso to make its debut in India. We will discuss additional markets when appropriate.Hari Nair, Head of Music Content & Partnership, Resso
- How to get music distribution for free - March 4, 2021
- IFPI and BMAT launch SoundSys a distribution system for performance rights revenue collection - March 4, 2021
- Sony’s WF-1000XM4 earbuds leak, showing a radically new design - March 4, 2021