Instagram Collabs is the perfect tool for sharing music promo and just about anything else across multiple artist and label accounts.
Instagram have started to roll out a new feature called Collabs. The co-author tool shares one feed post or Reel across two accounts. Both usernames appear in the header, both sets of followers will see the post in their timeline and it will show in the profile grids of both accounts. The single post or Reel shares the same view count, like count and comment thread.
Instagram have shared a couple of examples from Kylie Minogue / Years & Years, and J Grrey / Finn Askew. Instagram Collabs is similar to traditional tagging, but appearing on the timeline of both followers makes posts far more prominent, an idea I’ve yet to see on any other social platform. The new feature is great for music promo featuring more than one artist or perhaps across the artist and label profiles.
How to invite collaborators
The feature is still rolling out and only those receiving the test experience can be invited. The feature is only available to public accounts and collaborators must accept your invite.
- Tap the plus in the top right corner to create a new post or Reel.
- Choose POST or REELS in the bottom right corner.
- Take or upload a photo or video.
- Make your edits, then tap Next in the top right corner.
- Tap Tag people.
- From here you can either tag people as usual or choose Invite Collaborator.
- Search for your collaborator, then tap Done in the top right corner.
- Input any other metadata before tapping Share in the top right corner.