Get the Sega Genesis sound with new free PCM2612 Retro Decimator Unit effect plugin
Image credit: Inphonik
Inphonik have released a cool bitcrusher effect plugin that sounds just like the classic Sega Genesis, and it’s free.
Nostalgia-seeking producers will love Inphonik’s PCM2612 Retro Decimator Unit, especially as they can get the plugin absolutely free. Applying the PCM2612 brings back instant classic ‘90s video game memories.
It’s a simple, one-knob design based on the decimation effect of the Yamaha YM2612 synth. Interestingly, Inphonik have declared the digital decimation of the ‘90s as the “new vintage sound”.
The PCM2612 plugin is based on Inphonik’s RYM2612 Iconic FM Synthesizer, which was their tribute to the sound of the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive. The 8-bit decimation comes from the FM Synthesizer’s PCM playback feature.
Synth sound before and after PCM2612:
Inphonik said: “The PCM2612 Retro Decimator Unit is the continuation of our work made on the RYM2612 Iconic FM Synthesizer, expanding its ecosystem. As much as the RYMCast Genesis VGM Player, the PCM2612 has a place of choice as a companion effect plugin that completes our offer in our YM2612 product line.”
- 32-steps scalable 8-bit decimation
- Dry/Wet level knob
- Stereo/Mono switch
- Switchable output filtering between Legacy (modeled after the Sega Genesis Model 1 amp output circuitry) and Crystal Clear (purely digital)
- Graphical interface scaling options (1x, 1.5x, 2x)
- Switchable graphical form factor (vertical box or horizontal rack)
- Low CPU usage
- Inphonik’s first native Linux and Apple Silicon plugin
- Available in 64-bit VST2, VST3, AU, 64-bit AAX plugin for Windows and macOS, 64-bit VST for Linux, Rack Extension for Reason, AUv3/IAA app for iOS
Find out more and download the PCM2612 Retro Decimator Unit plugin for FREE here.