As the year comes to a close we get to see who were the biggest artists, podcasts, and the top songs on Spotify 2023.
Today, Spotify Wrapped dropped. Giving everyone their lowdown for the year in music. With a lookback at everyone’s personal year in listening, Spotify have also released a total glance at the hottest music overall for the year.
Over 574 million people have listened to Spotify this year, contributing to their list of the top songs, artists, and albums. Let’s look at the year on Spotify and see the top music and songs on Spotify 2023.
Spotify’s top artists 2023
It shouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone who the top artist of the year is. With 26.1 billion global streams since January 1st, Taylor Swift is top of Spotify’s charts. Swift’s incredible year has been pinned in with new releases as well as ‘Taylor’s Version’ re-recordings of her old records.
Following Swift is Bad Bunny, with another massive year for the Latin American artist. Closely behind is The Weeknd, even without the release of a studio record. See the rest of the list below.
The top songs on Spotify 2023
Miley Cyrus’ mega-hit ‘Flowers’ tops the list for this year. The huge single became the single of the summer for many and now has over 1.6 billion streams globally. ‘Kill Bill’ by SZA is second on the list, followed by Harry Styles with ‘As It Was’.
Spotify’s top albums 2023
Bad Bunny may not have been the top overall artist, but they shone with their new album ‘Un Verano Sin Ti’. Swift got to come second this time around with ‘Midnights’. ‘Midnights’ released in 2023 but Swift released a “Til Dawn Edition” this year.
Spotify’s top global podcasts 2023
Beyond the music, Spotify had another stellar year for podcasts. They revealed that they’re actually the most-used podcast platform in many of the key markets around the world.
For the fourth year in a row, The Joe Rogan Experience is the top podcast of the year around the world. Eight of the top 25 podcasts are Spotify Owned and Licensed. Check it out below.
Spotify’s trends of the year 2023
Spotify have brought together a bunch of the trends that they’ve noticed in music around the world on their platform. Here’s a look back at the pop culture and musical trends of the year.
- This year, Eurovision made a huge impact, as “Tattoo” by winner Loreen and “Cha Cha Cha” by runner-up Käärijä both reached the top 10 global daily chart the day after the final.
- Gen Z continues to embrace the genreless/genre-hybrid trend, refusing to be defined by only one genre, and instead moving seamlessly between sounds. They also embrace moods, looking for playlists and songs that best describe the mood or moment they’re in.
- This year also marked a significant surge in Colombian enthusiasm for Mexican music. Colombia emerged as the fifth-largest consumer of Mexican music in 2023, showcasing an 85% increase in its consumption over the year.
- The consumption of Indian classical instrumental music continues to grow on Spotify in India and around the world. In the last 24 months, India’s classical music consumption grew by close to 500% on Spotify. Over 45% of Indian classical music listeners on Spotify are under the age of 25.
- Afrobeats is one of the fastest-growing genres on Spotify, growing by 550% since 2017 with new audiences emerging in Mexico and India. In 2023, Rema’s “Calm Down” became the first Afrobeats artist-led track to hit a billion streams on Spotify.
- Mandopop, with top artists like Jay Chou, JJ Lin, and Eason Chan, has received more than 500 million monthly streams globally, seeing an almost 45% increase in the past year.