BPB states that Dirty Filter Plus is a complete overhaul of the original Dirty Filter plugin. It has a new user interface that’s freely resizable, more features, and some enhancements under the hood.
For example, the original Slope control for the high and low-pass filters was a joint control. Now the filters have their own Slope controls, so you can have both high-pass and low-pass filters removing frequencies at different rates.
Unlike the original, Dirty Filter Plus features a “highly transparent” compressor that aims to be subtle and compensates for lost gain automatically. BPB state, “It brings out the finer details in your recordings while gently increasing the overall loudness,”.
What seems to have had the biggest overhaul is the distortion module. I’m a big fan of the distortion offered by BPB’s Dirty Filter plugin, and now BPB Dirty Filter Plus is taking those distortion capabilities further.
Dirty Filter Plus features four Dirt (the original Dirt mode is still there) modes and each offers you a unique taste of distortion. As listed by BPB, you can choose between four unique Dirt modes:
- Mode A (Original) – The classic tube-style distortion that made you fall in love with the original BPB Dirty Filter. Designed to be highly versatile, it is capable of delivering subtle tube-style saturation, aggressive distortion, and sheer sonic destruction.
- Mode B (Acid) – It’s what your audio would sound like if sprinkled with acid. The “B” dirt mode corrodes the signal in an aggressive yet musical way, creating entirely new textures. It brings boring sounds to life or closer to death as it eats through them, depending on how you look at it, musically, of course. Hint: it sounds amazing on 303 basslines.
- Mode C (Dust) – Subtle distortion that adds a thick layer of dust for an instant lo-fi sound. The “C” dirt mode is perfect for drum breaks, drum machines, digital synthesizers, and anything else that you want to sound less shiny and more vintage.
- MODE D (Cyber) – Reduces the bit depth and sampling rate, resulting in a carefully tuned bit-crushed sound. The “D” dirt mode is perfect for use on synthesized bass sounds, percussion, and robotic SFX.
And you can blend the distorted signal with the original audio using the Mix knob.
BPB Dirty Filter Plus features
- 4 Dirt modes (Original, Acid, Dust, and Cyber)
- Dual filters (HP and LP)
- Adjustable filter slope (12-48 dB/Oct)
- Transparent compression
- Mix (0 – 100%)
- Output volume (±12 dB)
SonicState reports BPB Dirty Filter Plus is available for both Windows & macOS systems in VST3 & AU plugin formats. You can pay what you like, including $0 – just enter $0 as the price at checkout. But any other amount will help BPB develop more plugins in the future.