Steinberg Release Cubase Pro 8.5 and Cubase Artist 8.5
A year after the release of Cubase 8, the award-winning digital audio workstation is back with version 8.5 for Cubase Pro and Cubase Artist.
The new update brings with it a host of impressive new features and enhancements that Steinberg say have been developed by request of the many professional Cubase users worldwide. “Cubase Pro 8.5 and Cubase Artist 8.5 not only offer a sleeker workflow and added creative tools but also an innovative cloud-based collaborative system embedded in Cubase: VST Transit” says Steinberg.
Here’s a quick overview of the new features in Cubase 8.5:
- VST Transit cloud collaboration service brings together musicians and producers from all over the globe
- Retrologue 2 provides mesmerising new sonic capabilities and hundreds of new presets
- More responsive MixConsole environment with refined hover controls
- Pull tracks from existing projects into your song in only a few clicks, including all settings and content
- Upgraded Key and Drum Editors for faster, more intuitive MIDI editing
- Enhanced Chord Pads with new Sections play mode and custom chord symbols
- Profile Manager stores and recalls program settings and preferences (exclusive to Cubase Pro 8.5)
- Better Transport infrastructure consolidated for easier access and improved visibility
- Dedicated punch points, independent from locator positions for even more flexibility when recording audio or MIDI
- Version 3 of zPlane’s extraordinary élastique time-stretch/pitch-shift algorithm
Transport and recording workflow: Better visibility, smoother handling and added features mean more effective workflows for even the biggest, most intricate tracking sessions.
Mixing and track handling: Refining the acclaimed MixConsole environment and proven Cubase track handling tools, version 8.5 makes mixing and manipulating audio channels even more intuitive.
MIDI editing: Famed from day one for its MIDI editing toolset Cubase now offers even more tools and options when manipulating MIDI data, with added tools for both the Key and Drum Editors.
Accessibility and workflow: Using feedback from Cubase users, we implemented a horde of tweaks designed to make vital functions more accessible and the entire Cubase experience even more responsive.
Enhanced Chord Pads and symbols: Further enhancing one of the most inspiring songwriting tools available on any DAW, the extended Chord Pads feature will help you break through even the most massive composer’s block.
MediaBay Racks: Locate your content even faster with MediaBay project racks by clicking through icons and images for VST instruments and their libraries, content packs and preset categories.
One of the most interesting new features has got to be VST Transit which allows for musical collaboration through the cloud all within the Cubase DAW. VST Transit is embedded into Cubase and will allow you to upload audio and MIDI tracks to the cloud and then continue working on your project from anywhere else, then just synchronise the changes back into the cloud. You can also use it to collaborate or share projects with friends, bandmates and anyone else.
With Cubase 8.5 Steinberg introduce the second iteration of their acclaimed virtual analog synthesizer ‘Retrologue’. With Retrologue 2 Steinberg have ensured that they keep the texture of the analog sound whilst improving other areas an adding new features.
Retrologue 2 features:
- Classic virtual analog synthesizer optimised for low CPU load
- Over 700 outstanding presets covering classic analog synth sounds and beyond
- Intuitive interface for fast, creative sound design
- 3 oscillators with up to 8 de-tunable voices alongside sub and noise oscillators
- Apreggiator with up to 32 steps and “Export to host” feature
- 24 first-class filter types
- 4 LFOs plus filter, amp and custom envelopes
- 16-stage drag and drop modulation matrix with Note Expression support
- 5 distortion modes including tube, clip, bit reduction and rate reduction
- FX section with delay, chorus, flanger, phaser, vintage ensemble, reverb and 4-band EQ
- 3-band Resonator with 14 different filter configurations and integrated LFO
The Cubase Pro 8 and Cubase Artist 8 full retail versions are available from resellers and through the Steinberg Online Shop from December 2, 2015. The suggested retail price for Cubase Pro 8.5 is 549 euros. The suggested retail price for Cubase Artist 8.5 is 299 euros. Cubase Pro 8.5 and Cubase Artist 8.5 updates from the previous version 8 are available for 49.99 euros each. Various downloadable updates and upgrades are exclusively available through the Steinberg Online Shop. All mentioned prices include German VAT.
Customers who have activated Cubase 8 and Cubase Artist 8 since October 15, 2015, are eligible for a free, downloadable Grace Period update to the latest version.