Spotify founder and CEO Daniel Ek heard Obama say “I’m still waiting for my job at Spotify” so decided to create a position just for him – Spotify President of Playlists.
Obama has embraced Spotify during his term as president of the USA, creating an official White House profile and personal playlists for the seasons. During a reception last week Obama said: “I loved visiting you in Stockholm, it was my favourite trip. I plan to go back there really soon… I’m still waiting for my job at Spotify… Cause I know y’all loved my playlist.”
Daniel Ek, being Daniel Ek, tweeted at the current POTUS following his remark offering him a special new role created for (or least in tribute to) the President, who will soon leave his position in the White House.
— Daniel Ek (@eldsjal) January 9, 2017
The job listing makes some requests for the position that may limit the job’s potential applicants. For example it asks you to “have at least 8 years experience running a highly-regarded nation” and to have a Nobel Peace Prize. Lucky for Obama he seems to fit the bill, especially as they require “one of the greatest speakers of all time”.
The President of Playlists job application reads:
Spotify is growing globally, and we are now looking for a President of Playlists. In this position you will be overseeing our music curation and playlists team, across offices around the world.
Spotify started in Sweden in 2006, but we’re now in over 60 countries and counting. As an organization, we are full of hope, and always open to change.
What you’ll do:
- Provide world-class leadership to our playlist editors and supporting staff.
- Identify and substantiate new playlist ideas, e.g. from a playlist for shooting hoops with your friends, to the perfect warm up playlist for addressing the nation about health care legislation that bears your name.
- Analyze data and performance of playlists in a clear and transparent manner using all available intelligence. Attend daily briefings.
- Celebrate our diversity of playlists, from Viva Latino (3.4 million followers) to Rap Caviar (5.3 million followers).
Who you are:
- Have at least eight years experience running a highly-regarded nation.
- Familiar with the Spotify platform, with experience in programming playlists at a federal level. Anything from an eclectic summer playlist, to a celebratory, “I just found my birth certificate” playlist.
- Have good relationships with a wide range of artists and musicians. Ever had Kendrick Lamar play at your birthday bash? We’d love to hear about it!
- Can speak passionately about playlists at press events. Let us be clear, you should be nothing short of one of the greatest speakers of all time.
- A keen attention to detail and consistency. Able to work closely with other departments, so playlists can hold up to public scrutiny.
- Someone with good team spirit, excellent work ethic, a friendly and warm attitude, and a Nobel Peace Prize.
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination.
It doesn’t matter who you are, where you come from, what you look like, or what music you love. We believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background, lead to a better environment for everyone. We value this and encourage you to come be a part of changing the way the world listens to music.