Is music streaming coming to Apple Watches this week?
Apple’s upcoming Watch release notes supposedly leaked this week and seem to confirm that music streaming is on the way to Apple Watch Series 3.
A series of notes posted on Twitter by developer Guilherme Rambo seem to be golden master release notes for Apple Watch’s OS 4.1 update. The notes suggest a bunch of improvements and bug fixes as well as new features, the most exciting of which being confirmation of Apple Music and iCloud streaming on Apple Watches.
It’s the feature everyone has been calling for, LTE music streaming through Apple Watches, and it was promised to come this autumn. Despite what everyone thought, Apple COO Jeff Williams said last month during Apple’s iPhone event that Apple Music and iCloud support would not launch with Apple Watch Series 3 and would instead come in the shape of a software update.
The developer’s beta versions of watchOS 4.1 featured Apple Music and the iCloud Music Library integrated into the Apple Watch Music app. Now with these release notes it seems highly likely that Apple will be bringing music streaming to their Watch devices with their next update.
As well as music streaming from Apple Music and your own iCloud the release notes suggest that you will also be able to tune into Beats 1 live as well as custom stations. Extended Siri support also seems to be part of the update, with the notes saying that you can use Siri to “find, discover, and play songs, playlists, or albums”.
Here are the notes included in the supposed leak:
- Stream music on Apple Watch Series 3 with Apple Music or iCloud Music Library
- Listen to live radio on Beats 1, custom stations, and expert-curated stations with the new Radio app on Apple Watch Series 3
- Use Siri to find, discover, and play songs, playlists, or albums
- Sync fitness data with GymKit-enabled treadmills, ellipticals, stair steppers, and indoor bikes for more accurate distance, pace, and energy burn metrics
- Ability to disconnect from a WiFi network in Control Center for Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular)
- Fixes an issue for Apple Watch Series 1 and later where Heart Rate notifications were delivered when the feature was not enabled
- Fixes an issue where some users did not receive Stand Reminders
- Resolves an issue where the current stand hour indicator did not appear for some users
- Resolves an issue that caused haptics to not be delivered for silent alarms
- Addresses an issue that prevented Apple Watch (1st generation) from charging for some users
- Resolves an issue where the Sunrise / Sunset complication would sometimes not appear
- Restores Mandarin as the default dictation language for China