Image Credit: Spotify
Spotify’s in-car, voice controlled, music and podcast player has received its first software feature update since its official launch.
Over the last few months we’ve seen Spotify’s first hardware device – Car Thing expand its release. After a limited launch, February saw Spotify launch the smart player to all US buyers for $89.99.
With features like voice control via “Hey Spotify”, Car Thing hopes to bring a frictionless experience to music streaming across device, whether you’re listening at home, in the car or at the office. Requiring zero installation, Car Thing can be fitted to any vehicle and mirrors Spotify’s intuitive interface for seamless and personalized listening.
Now, Spotify are rolling out new updates for more functionality to iOS connected devices, including the ability to answer phone calls, queue songs and podcasts, display and control other media and more. Here are the full details from Spotify:
- Answer phone calls seamlessly*: You can now see, answer, and dismiss incoming calls via Car Thing.
- Control other media*: You can now play and control other media on the Car Thing device. Easily switch back to Spotify by using presets, or voice, or simply tapping the screen.
- Add to queue: One of our most requested features—the ability to queue additional songs and podcasts—is also now available. You can access it in a few different ways:
- With touch: Tap the “Add to queue” icon next to a track in your tracklist.
- With the dial: When you have a track highlighted, press and keep holding the dial—one press will play, while pressing and holding will add to the queue.
- Request music with Voice: Just say “Hey Spotify, queue ‘drivers license’” or whatever track you’d like to listen to next!
- View your queue: Say “Hey Spotify, open my queue” or press and keep holding the dial when in the “Now Playing” view.
- Use voice to get a personalized playlist for any mood: Simply ask for any genre, mood, or activity that describes the kind of music you want to hear. For example, say “Hey Spotify, play cozy Sunday RnB,” and we’ll do our best to instantly create a personalized playlist from your request. This feature is available wherever “Hey Spotify” is available.
*This feature is currently available on iOS only; availability for Android will be rolling out at a later date.
Get your hands on your own Spotify Car Thing here! You’ll need a Spotify Premium subscription, as well as a smartphone and mobile data.