Microsoft are shutting down Groove streaming after it launched to replace Xbox Music 2 years ago, teaming up with Spotify for music streaming instead.
It was a decent run but Microsoft have announced that Groove Music’s streaming service will run no more after the end of this year. Microsoft are teaming up with Spotify to compensate existing users with Groove passes by replacing them with Spotify Premium subscriptions.
The Groove app will continue to be usable for listening to your own music and managing your music library. After December 31st this year the Groove Music app will stop streaming music or hosting music purchases and downloads. It will essentially become Windows Media Player with a slicker looking design.
Microsoft said in their release statement:
Our partners are at the center of delivering great experiences on Windows and enabling them to shine on our platform is a top priority. By collaborating closely with industry leaders like Spotify, we can deliver the music customers want and focus on new and innovative ways to experience music.
Fortunately for those of you precious about your music libraries Groove will have a transitional period where you’ll be able to easily move your music from Groove to Spotify. You will be able to move your library starting this week for Windows Insiders and next week for everyone until “at least January 31, 2018”. Here’s how:
1. Launch the latest Groove app: Log into the latest Groove app version from the Windows Store or Xbox One. Once you’re signed into your account, you’ll see a pop-up window from Spotify with instructions on how to login or create a Spotify account.
2. Log in to Spotify:
- If you have an existing Spotify account, you’ll be prompted to input your username and password.
- If you’re new to Spotify, and on your PC, you’ll be asked a few basic questions to help you create an account, starting with a username.
3. Move your music: After signing into your Spotify account, we’ll move your music collection and playlists from Groove Music to Spotify.
4. Play music in Spotify: The process of moving your music to your Spotify account will take a few minutes. After completing step three, you’ll be able to listen to your music library in the Spotify app!