Image Credit: Flip
Sample everything with Flip, the new portable sampler app for phones making music creation on the go simple and exciting.
Andrew Huang is a man full of creative music ideas. His YouTube channel is a treasure trove of exploration looking at all the exciting and madcap possibilities available to us with the loose definition of ‘music’ and the potential within soundscapes.
The musician/producer/strange-genius is now putting the power of creating with the endless potential surrounding you in a simple package. With his new smartphone app ‘Flip‘, you can download a 9-track sampler that uses your phone to record a simple noise and transform it into a musical ingredient for on-the-fly, completely unique sounds.
It’s designed to make the magical world of flipping samples into beats and use-able virtual instruments – a tiresome hassle for producers just starting out to get their heads around – accessible for all with an intuitive workflow that gets creation flowing as soon as you press record.
Once you record a sample on Flip you can jump straight in to playing it on drum pads or making it musical with the in-app keyboard. Every sound is customisable with a huge set of editing tools that allow for simple manipulation. Combined with an array of effects, the possibilities for even the simplest of sound samples are endless.
Use it as a DAW
The app allows you to jump in with your new sounds and arrange them into tracks to create sequences and patterns to play/record over.
Each track features a parametric equaliser, four audio effects, sample editing, automation, polymetric looping, piano roll, mixer, and a mastering chain.
With automation you can alter your tracks to move and evolve as they play back.
With loops and sequences in place, you can use a Performance mode to play out your creations in real-time with DJ-style effects and live arrangements to mix it out.
Take it to the PC
If you have something you like, you can connect it up to other devices to carry it on elsewhere. Use Ableton Link to take your sounds, loops, and tracks into a full DAW to use it in a fully fledged production.
- 9 track sampler
- 4 effects per track: Delay, Filter, Chorus, Bitcrush
- Graphic EQ per track
- Monophonic or up to 16-note polyphonic playback per sample
- Adjustable pitch, volume, playback direction, sample start and stop points
- 19 automatable parameters per track
- Independent lengths for each automation lane
- Automation can be recorded via knob movements or drawn by hand
- Drum pad and keyboard input
- Full piano roll with 10 octaves, note velocity, editing tools
- Randomization over sample selection for quick inspiration
- Randomization over note position to create surprising variations
- Drag-and-drop song arrangement page
- Global reverb with individual track sends
- Mixing and mastering tools
- Powerful performance features for creating instant fills, pitch shifts, reverb sends, and global low or high pass filtering
- Export full track and stems
- Live recording of performances
- Metronome with tap tempo and swing/shuffle
- Ableton Link integration for easy syncing with other devices over WiFi
- Share projects and sounds via AirDrop, email, etc.
- Undo and redo
Flip is available for iPhone and iPads for $7.99 right now. Hopefully soon it will come to Androids as well.