“How long do we have to wait until we can watch live TV on the go, on all our devices? When will we have DVRs big enough to handle all the things we want to record? The answer? Today.”
Following a year of rumours YouTube finally announced a TV service last month, and now it’s here for you to enjoy so you can watch cable wherever you are. The launch brings a whole host of TV to stream from the biggest networks like ABC, FOX, NBC and more to your computer, mobiles and tablets for just $35 a month – a majorly reduced cost compared to that of a normal cable subscription.
YouTube TV launched last week in New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco Bay Area, Chicago, and Philadelphia with more areas coming soon. YouTube TV may not have quite the extensive channel selection of TV cable but with no equipment issues and fees, no commitments so you can leave at any time, and more benefits over cable it’s a considerable package.
YouTube TV memberships get you:
- Live TV streaming from ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, ESPN, Fox Sports Networks, Comcast SportsNet and dozens more. YouTube TV gives you the best of live TV, from must-see shows like “Empire,” “The Voice,” “The Big Bang Theory” and “Scandal,” to the live sports you want from the NBA, MLB, NFL, and NCAA. Based on where you live, you’ll get your local broadcast TV stations covering local sports and news. You’ll also get dozens of popular cable channels, including FX, USA, Disney Channel, Bravo, MSNBC, Fox News. And you can add Showtime or Fox Soccer Plus for an additional charge. In total, YouTube TV will give you more than 50 networks, listed below.
- A cloud DVR, with no storage limits. With YouTube TV, your cloud DVR can record as many shows as you want, simultaneously, without ever running out of storage. You can keep each of your recordings for nine months.
- TV when it matters, where it matters. You can watch YouTube TV on your phone, tablet or computer—and you can easily stream to your TV with a Google Chromecast or Chromecast built-in TV (we’ll be supporting even more connected TV devices later this year). And your cloud DVR goes with you, so you can stream your recordings on any device, whenever you want and wherever you go in the U.S.
- YouTube Red Originals. With a YouTube TV membership, you can watch all of our YouTube Red Original series and movies right in the new YouTube TV app.
- Six accounts included. You can share your YouTube TV membership with your family and roommates, and each account will receive its own unique recommendations and cloud DVR with no storage limits. Your household can watch up to three streams at a time.
- More networks coming soon. We’re excited to announce that AMC, BBC America, IFC, Sundance TV, WE tv, and BBC World News will be included soon at no additional charge. These networks will join Telemundo and others listed below as networks coming to YouTube TV soon after launch. This means you’ll be able to watch shows like “The Walking Dead,” “Doctor Who,” and your favorite telenovelas. And you’ll also be able to add Sundance Now or Shudder for an additional charge.
YouTube TV is available as a free month trial for new users and after one month of paying for a subscription YouTube are giving away free Google Chromecasts while stocks last to subscribers. You can sign up now at tv.youtube.com to check it out or from the Google Play Store and the Apple App Store. To find out when it might be coming to your area you can sign up here.