Instagram are rolling out Broadcast Channels to millions of creators as they launch the feature globally and announce new features.
Instagram announced and launched Broadcast Channels earlier this year. Previously only available to select creators, Broadcast Channels are a new one-to-many message feature, where creators can update their followers in a DM-like interface. Think of Broadcast Channels like a group chat, where only one party can message, with text, photos, videos, voice notes and polls. Followers can react to messages and vote in polls.
As well as rolling out to creators worldwide, Instagram also announced a number of new updates coming to the feature:
- Questions – Much like Instagram Stories, creators can ask questions of their followers. Instagram gathers these responses in one place, where creators can browse and reply to select questions.
- Channels Tab in Inbox – Instagram are launching a dedicated tab for all of your joined Broadcast Channels. In here you will also be able to search and discover new suggested channels based on your interests, interactions and activity on Instagram.
- Collaborators – As announced last month, creators can now invite other creators or fans to participate in Broadcast Channels, great for interviews or hangouts.
- Moderators – Moderators can manage members, messages and invite links, while the creator focuses on their fans
- Expiring Channels – Create temporary channels by setting an expiry date and time.
- Share to Stories – Promote your Broadcast Channels with your followers, by sharing a message from your channel into your Stories. This is on top of the “Join channel” sticker already available.
Creators can start a Broadcast Channel in their Instagram inbox. Once you send your first message, followers will receive a one-time notification to join the channel. If they join, they will continue to receive push notifications when the host posts. Channels can be pinned to the top of your profile. Set channels to subscriber-only channels to close the channel to paid subscribers only. Great for sharing exclusive content with your most dedicated fans.