Best Amazon Alexa enabled home smart speakers 2020
We’ve compiled the top smart speakers for Amazon Alexa users at each price range. Great for requesting your favourite song on all major streaming services.
Find the best Google Assistant smart speakers here.
Echo Dot – $49.99
- Made for any room – You can place Dot in the bedroom and use it as a smart alarm clock that can also turn off your lights. Or use Dot in the kitchen to easily set timers and shop with just your voice.
- Voice-control your music – Use your voice to play a song, artist, or genre through Amazon Music, Apple Music, Spotify, Pandora, SiriusXM, and others.
- Voice-control your smart home – Switch on the lamp before getting out of bed, turn up the thermostat while reading in your favorite chair, or dim the lights from the couch to watch a movie.
- Alexa always getting smarter – The more you use Dot, the more it adapts to your speech patterns, vocabulary, and personal references. And because Echo Dot is always connected, updates are delivered automatically.
- Alexa app – With the free Alexa app on Fire OS, Android, iOS, and desktop browsers, you can easily set up and manage your Echo Dot.
- Call almost anyone hands-free using your voice – Use Drop In to instantly connect to another compatible Echo at home or send an announcement across Echo devices, like calling the family for dinner or reminding the kids to go to bed. Plus, now with Skype calling stay in touch with friends and family in over 150 countries.
The music this speaker produces won’t blow you away, but if you’re just asking questions, setting alarms, controlling smart devices, etc. it’s a great choice. If you’re primary use is music, perhaps scroll down and get something with better sound. Note, this speaker regularly goes on sale or giveaways bundled with subscription services. Echo Dot allows you to hook up external speakers via 3.5mm headphone jack or Bluetooth.
Good sound (under $100)
Echo Plus – $79.99 (usually $149.99)
- Echo Plus has a built-in Zigbee hub to easily set up and control your compatible smart home devices and improved sound for streaming music
- New premium speakers powered by Dolby play 360° audio with crisp vocals and dynamic bass response. You can also use your voice to adjust equalizer settings
- Ask Alexa to play music, answer questions, read the news, check the weather, set alarms, control compatible smart home devices and more
- Set up your smart home without a separate hub. Ask Alexa to control compatible smart lights, switches, sensors, door locks, and more. Echo Plus also includes a built-in temperature sensor
- Ask Alexa for a song, artist, or genre from Amazon Music, Apple Music, Spotify, Pandora, SiriusXM, and more. With multi-room music, play music on compatible Echo devices in different rooms
- Call almost anyone hands-free using your voice. Use Drop In to instantly connect to another compatible Echo at home or send an announcement across Echo devices, like calling the family for dinner or reminding the kids to go to bed.
- Plus, now with Skype calling stay in touch with friends and family in over 150 countries.
The next step up from the Echo Dot, with more powerful, Dolby processing, 360°, room filling sound, from a 3″ neodymium woofer and 0.8″ tweeter.
Great sound ($200)
Echo Studio – $199.99
- Immersive sound – 5 speakers produce powerful bass, dynamic mid-range, and crisp high tones. The Dolby Atmos technology adds space, clarity, and depth.
- Ready to help – Ask Alexa to play music, read the news, and answer questions.
- Voice control your music – Stream songs from Amazon Music, Apple Music, Spotify, Pandora, Tidal and more. Play a growing library of music mastered in 3D from Amazon Music HD.
- Adapts to any room – Automatically senses the acoustics of your space, fine-tuning playback for optimal sound.
- Built-in smart home hub – Ask Alexa to control Zigbee-compatible devices.
- Keep your family in sync – Use your Alexa devices like an intercom, and talk to any room in the house with Drop In and Announcements.
- Designed to protect your privacy – Built with multiple layers of privacy controls, including a microphone off button that electronically disconnects the microphones.
We’re getting into seriously good speaker territory here. This will be sufficient for your house parties (when they’re back on) or even TV speaker replacements. 5 speakers, Dolby Atmos and music that adapts to the room the speaker is placed in. 3.5mm jack input/output, as well as mini-optical Toslink line in. Can wirelessly connect to a Fire Stick for great sounding TV speakers
Sonos One – $199
- Enjoy the music your love in one place – The Sonos app works with 80 streaming services, including Spotify, Apple Music, Pandora, Amazon Music and YouTube Music to make listening to music as simple as possible.
- Brilliant clear sound in any room – With Sonos, you can create a wireless multiroom audio system with simple control and wide functionality. Pair two speakers in the same room for stereo separation and more detailed sound.
- Manage your sound system from any device – The Sonos app is compatible with iOS, Android, Mac, or Windows devices.
- Smart speaker with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant – Allows you to start and control your music with your voice.
- Make your life easier with Alexa and Google skills – You can check traffic, find a recipe for dinner, play games, or make announcements for a whole home.
- Wireless connection – Connects to your home Wi-Fi network with any 802.11b/g, 2.4GHz broadcast-capable router for uninterrupted wireless streaming.
- Apple AirPlay support – With AirPlay, stream directly from your Apple devices or ask Siri to play your favorites from Apple Music throughout your home.
- Two Class-D digital amplifiers – Tuned to match the speaker drivers and acoustic architecture.
- Compact speaker combines woofer and tweeter – Ensures rich sound with high-frequency response, faithful playback of mid-range vocal frequencies and deep bass.
- Four far-field microphones – Provide advanced beamforming and echo cancellation.
- Convenient top panel – Use capacitive touch controls for volume up/down, previous/next track, play/pause, microphone mute. The LED indicates the status, mute status, and voice feedback.
If you can’t decide between Google Assistant or Alexa, the Sonos One features both assistants in one, as well as AirPlay 2 for seemless streaming from your iOS device or Mac.
Premium sound ($300)
Bose Home Speaker 500 – $299 (usually $399)
- Bose Home Speaker 500 Multi-room compatible Wireless Smart Speaker – Play music in multiple rooms at once. With a soundstage wider than any other smart speaker, you’ll be able to fill any room with astonishing stereo performance.
- Control your music from the palm of your hand – With the Bose Music app, you can easily browse through all your music in one place and seamlessly jump between stations, playlists, and services.
- More ways to connect with the music you love – Bluetooth and Wi-Fi capability for pairing wireless devices.
- Add more sound around the house – Listen to the same music in different rooms at the same time by grouping two or more Bose Home Speakers together – or with Bose SimpleSync™ technology. You can also group a Bose Home Speaker with a Bose SoundLink Bluetooth speaker and play them both in perfect sync. Compatible Bose Smart Home speakers are Home Speaker 500, Home Speaker 300, and Portable Home Speaker. Compatible Bose Soundlink speakers are Soundlink Revolve, Revolve+, Mini, Mini II, Color, Color II, and Micro.
- Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant voice control built right in – Get access to weather, timers, or use the Home Speaker 500 as a smart home hub to control your existing smart devices with built-in Amazon Alexa and Google Voice Assistants.
- Two custom drivers point in opposite directions – Wall-to-wall stereo from a single speaker.
- Six preset buttons for one-touch access to music – Play your favorite music services over a home Wi-Fi network, like Spotify or Amazon Music, at the touch of a button.
Best of the best, for those with $300 to drop on smart speakers, Bose’s Home Speaker 500 features Alexa, Google Assistant and AirPlay 2, with 8 microphones for voice pickup.
Sometimes you need your smart assistant to provide you with visual clues or video streaming. Be it a recipe, binging a show or showing you who’s at the door, Amazon have a range of Echo smart screens. The cameras make them great for video calls and can be manually turned off to keep prying eyes out of your home. Amazon devices support Prime Video streaming, but unfortunately no luck for other services such as Netflix. The 3.5mm audio output means you can hook up your external HiFi system.
Echo Show 5 – $69.99 (usually $89.99)
- See and do more with Alexa – Echo Show 5 connects to Alexa to give you vivid visuals on its 5.5″ smart display with a crisp full sound – all in a compact design that fits in any room, in any home. See on-screen lyrics with Amazon Music.
- Connect with your favorite people – Connect with your favorite people. Make hands-free video calls to the Alexa app or another Echo device with a screen. Instantly connect to other supported devices in your home, or make a voice announcement to every room with a supported Echo device. Set alarms and timers, catch up on the current events, check weather and traffic, as you head out in your new city.
- Entertainment for every part of your day – Catch up on today’s news and sports highlights. Watch movie trailers. Cook along with step-by-step recipes. See song lyrics and album art with Amazon Music. It’s the perfect size for adding glanceable entertainment to any room.
- Designed around your privacy – Enjoy multiple layers of privacy. Your voice is streamed to the cloud only after your device detects the wake word – Alexa. You can turn off the microphone and camera with a press of the button. The built-in shutter lets you easily cover the camera.
- Control your smart home – Manage compatible smart home devices on the simple interactive display, or use your voice. Regulate lights and switches, set thermostats, view security cameras.
- Make other nightstands jealous – Use the ambient sunrise lighting feature to get your day started right. You can also choose from several fun clock face designs.
- Alexa boasts more than 80,000 skills and counting – Amazon Alexa is always getting smarter. The skills are like apps, and help you do more. Play Jeopardy! or learn something new with wikiHow. Just say, “Alexa, show me skills.”
5.5-inch screen, that’s roughly phone sized.
Echo Show 8 – $104.99 (usually $129.99)
- Alexa can show you more – With an 8″ HD screen and stereo sound, Alexa can help manage your day at a glance.
- Connect with video calling and messaging – Connect with your favorite people. Make hands-free video calls to the Alexa app or another Echo device with a screen. Instantly connect to other supported devices in your home, or make a voice announcement to every room with a supported Echo device.
- Be entertained – Ask Alexa to show you movie trailers, TV shows, movies, or news. Or listen to radio stations, podcasts, and audiobooks.
- Control your smart home – Voice control compatible devices, or manage them on the easy-to-use display. Ask Alexa to show you security cameras, control lights, and adjust thermostats.
- Make it yours – Show off your Amazon photo albums. Customize your home screen. Create morning routines to start your day.
- Made to fit your life – Cook along to step-by-step recipes. Easily update to-do lists and calendars. Glance at weather and traffic on your way out.
- Designed to protect your privacy – Electronically disconnect the microphones and camera with one press of a button. Slide the built-in shutter to cover the camera.
8-inch screen, that’s small tablet sized. Essentially the same as above, with a bigger screen and better speakers.
Echo Show 10 – $229.99
- All-new Echo Show – Features a new look, a vibrant 10″ HD screen, built-in smart home hub, and improved speakers. Just ask Alexa to show you a recipe, watch live TV and sports with Hulu, make video calls, or see who’s at the front door.
- Hands-free video calling and messaging – Connect with your favorite people. Make hands-free video calls to the Alexa app or another Echo device with a screen. Instantly connect to other supported devices in your home, or make a voice announcement to every room with a supported Echo device. Echo Show’s new speakers boast dual 2″ premium drivers, a passive bass radiator, and Dolby processing to deliver expansive stereo sound with deep, powerful lows and crisp highs. Adjust the treble, mid, and bass levels using only your voice, or set up multiroom music to play music across compatible Echo devices throughout your home.
- Alexa can show you even more – Watch as the display comes alive to show song lyrics and album art from Amazon Music. Stream music from Apple Music, Spotify, Pandora, SiriusXM, TuneIn, and iHeartRadio. Stream books from your Audible library or watch movie trailers, news briefings, Prime Video content, and live TV and sports with a Hulu subscription.
- Always ready to help – Echo Show is the kitchen companion that helps you get more done in your day. Cook along to step-by-step recipes, set alarms and timers, add items to your to-do and shopping lists, see weather forecasts, calendars, photos, and more. Echo Show is optimized for visibility across the room and can hear you even while music is playing.
- Voice-control your smart home – Alexa can control thousands of compatible smart home devices, such as security cameras, lights, thermostats and more. Just ask to show you the front door camera or brighten the kitchen lights. Easily set up and control compatible Zigbee smart home devices without the need for a separate hub. Just say, “Alexa, discover my devices,” and Echo Show will discover and set up compatible devices so you can control them with your voice or manage them on-screen. You can also voice call or message almost anyone, or instantly connect to other devices in your home to make a quick announcement or check in on the kids. Plus, now with Skype calling stay in touch with friends and family in over 150 countries.
- Alexa has skills – With over 50,000 skills and counting, Alexa is always getting smarter. Skills are like apps and let you do more, such as play Jeopardy, meditate with Headspace, or view your favorite beaches with Surfline. Just say, “Alexa, help me get started with skills.” You can even create your own with Alexa Skill Blueprints.
10.1-inch screen, we’re talking large tablet sized. At over $200, these don’t come cheap, but the large screen, premium speakers and improved camera makes streaming video, music and video calls a joy.