Following a year that’s seen streaming boom bigger than ever but also seen SoundCloud face bankruptcy, lets take a look back at their year.
Over the last 12 months SoundCloud has seen artists receive Grammy nominations, faced buyouts, the rise of “SoundCloud rappers” and more. SoundCloud have taken a look back at their eventful year with the 2017 Playback.
We’ve amped up this year’s list for a total of 17 categories that touch every corner of the SoundCloud ecosystem, from hip-hop, pop, dance and rock, to what’s new, now and next in music culture. This year’s list celebrates the diverse creativity on the platform and within our community-everything from the buzziest tags in 2017 like ChillHop and Vaporwave, to the year’s most creative cities (welcome to the list Houston, Atlanta, Philadelphia, and Seoul!).
Congrats to everyone on the list, and a huge thank you to the SoundCloud community for your continued creativity. We can’t wait to see what you create in 2018!
Here’s the full list:
- Top Album: Lil Uzi Vert, LUV is Rage 2
- Top Remixer: R3hab
- Most Remixed Track: Ed Sheeran, “Shape of You”
- Top Podcast Personality: Shane & Friends
- Top Playlist: Created by ilyanaazman, “Best of Chill/House Nation”
- Top DJ Set: Two Friends, “Big Bootie Mix, Volume 11”
- Tags with Buzz (New tags vs. 2016 list in bold):
- LoFi Hip-Hop
- Future Bass
- Top R&B/Soul Track: SZA featuring Travis Scott, “Love Galore”
- Top Pop Track: Logic featuring Alessia Cara and Khalid, “1-800-273-8255”
- Top Rock Track: Linkin Park featuring Kiiara, “Heavy”
- Top Remix: Luis Fonsi & Daddy Yankee featuring Justin Bieber, “Despacito (VMK, That Behavior Remix)”
- Top Electronic Track: Unlike Pluto featuring Mike Taylor, “Everything Black”
- Top Rap/Hip-hop Track: Lil Uzi Vert, “XO Tour Llif3”
- Artists who were on SoundCloud first and owned the internet in 2017:
- Top Cities Driving Creativity (New cities vs. 2016 list in bold):
- New York
- Los Angeles
- 2017’s Buzziest Drops:
- Artists to Watch in 2018 (Rising artists showing signs of continued momentum in 2018):
*The above information was compiled based on indicators and actions taken from across the SoundCloud community including streams, likes, reposts, shares and location.