Facebook’s new video platform launches with 30+ shows

Facebook have finally made good on their word and launched a brand new video platform for original shows and videos – Facebook Watch.

Facebook have unveiled ‘Watch’ a new video platform that is sure to send shivers up YouTube’s spine. Watch will be the home for a bunch of new shows and short films originally created by and/or for Facebook.

Watch will also provide a one-stop shop for the plethora of user-created/uploaded videos that already exist on Facebook. From here users can discover new videos, create a list of things to watch, follow certain pages and people to have their new videos show up and more.

The videos uploaded to Watch will feature ads, meaning videos are monetisable – something that has been requested for a long time thanks to the copyright-ridden. Creators and partners will earn 55% of the ad revenue on videos whilst the other 45% will go to Facebook. Director of product, Daniel Danker said: “Watch is a platform for all creators and publishers to find an audience, build a community of passionate fans, and earn money for their work.”

Watch will replace the videos section in the Facebook app which was their home for videos before today. Watch will enhance the experience by making content discovery easier with recommendations and trending videos, getting notifications for certain shows, even looking at what your friends are watching.

Watch is personalised to help you discover new shows, organised around what your friends and communities are watching. For example, you’ll find sections like “Most Talked About,” which highlights shows that spark conversation, “What’s Making People Laugh,” which includes shows where many people have used the “Haha” reaction, and “What Friends Are Watching,” which helps you connect with friends about shows they too are following.

  • Shows that engage fans and community. Nas Daily publishes a daily show where he makes videos together with his fans from around the world. The Watchlist makes it easy for fans to catch every day’s new episode.
  • Live shows that connect directly with fans. Gabby Bernstein, a New York Times bestselling author, motivational speaker, and life coach, uses a combination of recorded and live episodes to connect with her fans and answer questions in real-time.
  • Shows that follow a narrative arc or have a consistent theme. Tastemade’s Kitchen Little is a funny show about kids who watch a how-to video of a recipe, then instruct professional chefs on how to make it. Each episode features a new child, a new chef, and a new recipe. Unsurprisingly, the food doesn’t always turn out as expected.
  • Live events that bring communities together. Major League Baseball is broadcasting a game a week on Facebook, enabling people to watch live baseball while connecting with friends and fellow fans on the platform.

Speaking on the release of Watch Facebook say: “We’ll be introducing Watch to a limited group of people in the U.S. and plan to bring the experience to more people soon. Similarly, we’ll be opening up Shows to a limited group of creators and plan to roll out to all soon.”

Viral YouTube videos might make chart hits on Billboard soon

Can you imagine Gangnam Style being number one in the official charts? Billboard and YouTube might be teaming up to count video plays in chart data. According to a new report YouTube plays are to…

YouTube will no longer let you share web links in videos

YouTube have restricted external links to other websites being put into videos except from select creators. In a bizarre and potentially very damaging move YouTube has decided to ban links that lead out of YouTube…