Great tutorial on how to warm up your singing voice.
This is what YouTube Content ID is all about.
The PRS and the PPL both collect music licensing fees on behalf of song writers, composers and publishers.
The PRS collects and pay royalties to their members when their music is exploited in one of a number of ways – when it is recorded onto any format and distributed to the public, performed or played in public, broadcast or made publicly available online. This is all based around the writers public performance rights.
PPL collects the license fee on behalf of the performers and record companies. PPL collects royalties for a range of uses of recorded music – when it is played in public or broadcast on TV, radio and certain digital media services.
The difference between the two licences is more clearly illustrated when the writer is a different person from the artist. For example, if you were to broadcast the Jimi Hendrix recording of the Bob Dylan song All Along the Watchtower, then the respective music licences would relate to the following rights:
- PPL: This licence would be on behalf of the UK record company that controls the rights to the Jimi Hendrix recording of the song
- PRS for Music: This licence would be on behalf of the UK publisher that controls the rights to the Bob Dylan song
We often get asked if you can distribute remixes to music download stores and streaming service. If you want to distribute your remix to download stores and music streaming service then you need to obtain the correct license from the owner of the copyrights you have used in the remix.
In the current world of music licensing to get a license to sell a remix isnt easy, but sometimes it can really be worth the while trying to track down the correct copyright owner.
Who knows.. your remix might get big in Japan!
Ableton Live: How To Sync Computers Via Wi-Fi.
Here are the step by step instructions on how to do this for Mac users:
1. On the Master computer launch the Audio MIDI Setup utility and choose “Show MIDI Window” from the Window drop down menu.
2. Double click on “Network” to access the “MIDI Network Setup” window.
3. Click the “+” button under session if there is no session available and name the session.
4. On the Slave computer choose the network you wish to connect to from the “MIDI” Network Window” and click “Connect”.
5. In Ableton Live go to “Preferences” and choose the MIDI Sync tab. For the Master computer set the Output Sync to On. For the Slave computer set the Input Sync to On.
6. Finally on the Slave computer click the EXT button at the upper right hand corner of the screen to enable the External Sync. Now the Master computer will control the the Slave computer from it’s global transport controls.
We often get asked by our artists how they can get their artist biography on iTunes and Spotify.
Biographies on iTunes and Spotify isn’t controlled by the stores themselves, but by metadata company AllMusic Guide.
So, what is the AllMusic Guide? In their own words;
“AllMusic is a comprehensive and in-depth resource for finding out more about the albums, musicians, bands and musical styles you love. We offer different ways for our users to explore and discover all kinds of cool info about music including keeping up-to-date on new release information, browsing discographies, exploring genres and reading what our editors have to say.”
How to submit my biography to AllMusic Guide.
AllMusic Guide requires bands to submit their music to them in physical form. Thus, you need to mail a copy of your CD to the address below.
1168 Oak Valley Drive
Ann Arbor, MI 48108
Once you have submitted your release, you can check the status of your submission by emailing ‘firstname.lastname@example.org’. You can also find out further information on product submissions, from their submission guidelines here.
Here is a quick tutorial on How To Get A Spotify Listen Button On Your Facebook Page.
Listen buttons are normally found on Facebook pages next to the like button. This is a great way to promote your music and get even more Spotify plays. Normally, Facebook wants over 5000 likes on your Facebook page before they even think about adding a Listen button.
How to Apply
Go to your Facebook Page
1. Open the ‘Admin Panel (above your Cover Photo)
2. Click ‘Help’
3. Select ‘Get More Features’ (This option isn’t available on all Pages, contact Facebook Support if not)
4. Confirm you are a representative of the band or artist
5. Click ‘Submit’
Facebook will then review your request and if approved you will then be able to edit your Music Catalogue.
1. Open the ‘Admin Panel’
2. Click ‘Edit Page’
3. Select ‘Update Info’
4. In the left sidebar select ‘Music’
5. From here you can add or remove links to your music catalogues on Spotify as well as some other supported music services.
Gracenote is the company that provides metadata information to the iTunes music player.
A lot of artists have been trying to get their music added to the Gracenote database, so here are the steps on how to do it yourself.
1. Open iTunes
2. Insert CD
3. Locate CD in iTunes (do NOT import yet)
4. Highlight all of the cd tracks
5. Right click and select “Get Info”
6. Click the “Info” tab
7. Change the album title/artist name/year/genre
8. Click “OK”
9. Now use this procedure for individual track names
10. Highlight track 1 and right click to select “Get Info”
11. Click on the “Info” tab
12. Update the “Name” and then click “Next”
13. Once you finish writing in your info for all tracks click “OK”
14. Highlight all of the tracks again
15. Click on the “Options” symbol on the upper right corner of the tracklist window
16. Select “Submit CD Track Names…”
17. Allow the progress bar to complete
We often get asked.. How Can I Get an ISRC code in the UK?
PPL Contact Details:
PPL, 1 Upper James Street, London W1F 9DE
Tel: +44 (0) 20 7534 1331
Point of Contact: Chris Austin