These analog synths all hope to replicate a classic looking, feeling and sounding instrument with modern reliability and connectivity.
All of these are from the last decade, but Korg, Moog and Dave Smith are not new to building synthesizers. All well established players in the game for over 40 years.
Best Budget Synth
Korg Monologue – Around $300
- Analog synthesizer with all-new synthesis structure optimized for amazing monophonic sounds and sequences
- Fully programmable, with 100 program memories (80 presets included)
- 16-step sequencer with extensive motion sequence technology to make your sound move
- Microtuning lets you freely create scales and alternate tonalities
- Oscilloscope function helps visualize the waveform in real time
- Battery-powered for portability
- Rugged and stylish with aluminum top panel, chassis-mounted pots, rubber-coated knobs, and real wood back panel
- MIDI, USB MIDI, and Audio Sync for all types of in-studio and live connectivity, including direct sync with minilogue, SQ1, volca, electribe, and more
- Five color variations that will shine on stage or in the studio
Best Mid-Range Synth
Moog Subsequent 37 – Around $1600
- Sub 37 Design – All the controls and features found on the Sub 37 Tribute Edition
- Sound Engine Evolution – Richer low end and greater sonic dimension
- More Multidrive – Wider range and dirtier than ever before
- Room For Two – More headroom means Duo mode sounds even better
- 37 Note Keybed – Lightweight with swift action and aftertouch.
- High-power Headphones – Cue up your next sound in the loudest of venues.
- Extensive Modulation And Sequencing – 2 assignable mod busses, 2 DAHDSR looping envelopes and an ultra-powerful arpeggiator/sequencer
- 256 Presets – 16 banks of 16 patches
- Free Software Editor – Works as a DAW plugin or as a standalone editor.
Best High-End Synth
Dave Smith Sequential Prophet 6 – Around $2800
- Vintage with a Modern Twist – The Prophet-6 is Dave Smith’s tribute to the poly synth that started it all—the Sequential Prophet-5.
- Classic Tone, Classic Vibe – Central to the warm, punchy sound of the Prophet-6 are its two newly-designed, discrete voltage-controlled oscillators (plus sub-oscillator) per voice.
- Dual Effects – The dual effects section provides studio-quality reverbs, delays (standard and BBD), chorus and phase shifter.
- Poly Mod and Poly Step Sequencing – Also present from its classic predecessor is a Poly Mod section, with enhancements.
- Easy to Program – The knob-per-function front panel offers instant access to virtually all Prophet-6 functions.
- Easy to Play – All of this awe-inspiring sound is packed into a four octave, semi-weighted keyboard with velocity and channel aftertouch that’s an ideal combination portability and power for the project studio or the gigging musician.